Oil on Canvas
38.8 x 48.2 cm
This painting depicts The Old King’s Arms on Teall Street, the public house owned by William Morrell. The steps on the left lead to Wakefield Cathedral.
This painting is almost identical to that of the same subject matter by G.H. Hepworth also in our collection. The flattened perspective and more primitive quality of form are the key differences, perhaps indicating that this painting was executed as a copy of Hepworth’s.
The Old King’s Arms, Wakefield 1850-1900 © Compton Verney
Reference CVCSC 0414.F